One of the biggest challenges with adapting an established sci-fi universe is balancing creative ambition with commercial viability.
I'm curious how flexible you are when it comes to adapting GOLEM for the screen. Would you allow an experienced showrunner or production partner to significantly...
Brandy, one aspect worth considering is how quickly THE CRUISE establishes tension.
For international audiences, the opening 10–15 minutes can be critical, particularly in horror and thrillers. The challenge is creating a sense of danger before the outbreak fully unfolds, without revealing too...
One thing I’ve found useful with early-stage projects is getting clear from the start about what the filmmaker actually needs financing, a producer, sales support, creative input, or simply feedback. It can save everyone a lot of time when that’s clear from the first conversation.
For me, originality is the key here. I wouldn’t worry too much about trying to make it similar to other horror projects, because that can easily take away the very thing that makes it different.
I’m actually thinking about developing a horror project myself, and my starting point is the same: I...
It sounds like you already have a lot of the development work in place. Have you thought about creating a very short proof of concept next — maybe 60–90 seconds using one key emotional moment from the opening?
With animation, I think actually seeing how the environment, colours and music react...
Interesting journey behind STEVEN. Turning something that originally depended on an existing franchise into a completely original story and then bringing personal experience into it probably gave the project a much stronger identity.
Good luck finding the right producer and taking it to the...
You’ve shared quite a lot about OB TRIAGE now, Steve, and it would be great to actually see a little something from the project. It doesn’t have to be a teaser even a page from the pitch deck, an early poster or concept image, or anything else you’re comfortable sharing would give us a better...
I think there’s another consequence to this: where does the next generation gain experience?
Mid-budget films weren’t just a category for audiences. They also provided a stepping stone for writers, directors, producers and actors between smaller projects and major studio productions.
If that...
This is a really practical point. I’d add that tracking what changed is only half the problem months later, you may also need to know why it changed and who actually agreed to it.
That’s why I think anything important should ultimately be confirmed in writing, preferably by email. Calls are...
Another factor may be scheduling. If VP gives filmmakers more control over when and where scenes can be shot, could that also make it easier to coordinate actors with limited availability? For indie productions, solving one difficult cast schedule could be a significant saving on its own.
That makes me wonder if the process should sometimes work backwards. Instead of setting the budget first and then trying to find enough markets to support it, could early buyer feedback help determine what the film should realistically cost in the first place?
That makes a lot of sense, David. There may also be an interesting reversal in the usual order here: serious producer interest in The Black Sun could actually make the representation conversation easier, because you would no longer be approaching managers or agents with only a project, but with...
I agree, Adam. But I’d add that size itself isn’t necessarily the problem. What matters more is the quality of the conversation.
Some of the largest platforms have thousands of people talking about almost everything, but volume doesn’t automatically create useful insight. A hundred opinions...
I think the difficult part is what happens in between those moments.
You meet someone at a market, have a genuinely good conversation, but there may be no reason to work together for another year or two. How do you stay on their radar without every follow-up feeling like you’re asking for...