Recent content by Michael

  1. Michael

    Discussion Which Film Genres Are Still Selling Globally in 2026?

    I agree that elevated horror and contained thrillers look like relatively safe bets on paper, but there's another problem worth considering: market saturation. As more producers move toward the same commercially attractive genres, buyers are seeing increasingly similar pitches. A single...
  2. Michael

    Connecting with Filmmakers & New Projects

    Joyce, I think you make a really important point. Finding a producer isn't just about finding someone who likes the story. It's about finding someone who understands the project, knows how to position it in the market, and has the right connections to move it forward. With a six-episode series...
  3. Michael

    Cinema Action Drama The brave

    I watched the piece, but to be honest, in its current form I find it difficult even to review. We see a few still images accompanied by very basic sound effects, without actual animation, a developed story, or a clear narrative. The description says the central themes are courage and cowardice...
  4. Michael

    Something new is taking shape at FilmPlatforms.

    I find the inclusion of projects still in development particularly interesting. A completed film can be judged by what’s already on screen, but with a project in development, you also have to recognize what it could become. I’m curious to see how the FilmPlatforms Awards will approach that. :)
  5. Michael

    Seeking Investment Co-Production NIMOOS — Animated Series in Development | Seeking Financing & Strategic Partners

    Interesting project. What would your ideal first partner look like at this stage: a financing partner to support the next phase of development, or an experienced animation producer/studio that could also help shape the project creatively and from a production perspective?
  6. Michael

    Industry Spotlight Mike Blum on Independent Animation, Financing & the Future of the Industry

    I like the distinction between structural notes and page notes. That’s a useful benchmark. I’d add that the source of the feedback matters just as much - ten opinions from the wrong audience can sometimes take a project further away from the market rather than closer to it.
  7. Michael

    Discussion Question New start advice

    On your fourth question, I’d avoid repeatedly posting the same pitch. Instead, give people different reasons to discover the project ask for feedback on the logline, discuss a production challenge, share a decision you’re wrestling with, or contribute to other people’s discussions. If people...
  8. Michael

    Industry Spotlight Mike Hall – Nearly 30 Years of Music, Film, and Creative Collaboration

    Your point about silence is important. One practical question I’d ask when planning a scene is: what do you want the audience to notice the moment the music stops? If there isn’t a clear answer, the silence may not be serving the scene.
  9. Michael

    Seattle Screenwriter – Horror, Thrillers & Dark Fairy Tales

    The cruise ship setting is a strong hook. If I were pitching this, I’d bring Lori’s unusual reaction forward a little more that feels like the element that could really separate THE CRUISE from other outbreak stories. Interestingly, there’s another project here on the forum whose creator is...
  10. Michael

    Industry Strategy After the Pitch Deck: How to Turn Investor Interest Into Film Financing

    Really strong and useful contributions here, especially Barry’s example with the $375K budget and how the conversation changes once an investor starts looking more seriously at the project. One thing I’d add is that when an investor shifts to the business side budget, recoupment, rights they’re...
  11. Michael

    Cinema Doktor Your Film Is Not the Product

    A film can make all the right creative choices and still reach the finish line with nobody quite sure who is actually going to buy it. A distributor or sales agent has to answer some pretty basic questions: Who is the audience? Which markets make sense? What’s the hook? And why should someone...
  12. Michael

    Discussion Industry Insight Screenwriter Why Do Scripts Get Rejected?

    A good script can still be a difficult project to finance or sell. Sometimes the writing is strong, but the budget, audience, timing, or international sales potential simply doesn’t line up with what the market is looking for. That’s why a rejection isn’t always a verdict on the writer or the...
  13. Michael

    Collaboration Looking for Work Composer Available for Collaboration

    That’s an interesting point about commitment, especially on unpaid projects. I think there’s also a responsibility on the production side to be realistic about what an unpaid collaborator can commit to over time. If a project gets delayed for months, for example, do you still feel the same...
  14. Michael

    Industry Spotlight Mike Hall – Nearly 30 Years of Music, Film, and Creative Collaboration

    That sounds like a very practical model for smaller productions. One thing I’d be curious about is what happens if the film later gets picked up for wider international distribution. Do you usually structure the music license from the beginning to cover that possibility, or does the filmmaker...
  15. Michael

    Hello from Los Angeles — Writing “Administrative Horror”

    That raises another interesting question, David. If a producer responded strongly to The Black Sun but was interested in developing that project rather than representing you as a writer, would you see that as an equally valuable next step? Or is finding representation that can build your...
Back
Top