Seattle Screenwriter – Horror, Thrillers & Dark Fairy Tales

Washingtoninkgirl

New member
Early-Career Professional
Joined
Sep 23, 2026
Messages
15
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy, a screenwriter based in the Seattle area. I write primarily horror, thriller, and dark reimaginings of classic stories. I currently have several feature screenplays completed and a number of other projects in development. I joined FilmPlatforms to connect with other writers, filmmakers, producers, and creatives, learn more about the industry, and hopefully build some genuine professional relationships along the way. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy, a screenwriter based in the Seattle area. I write primarily horror, thriller, and dark reimaginings of classic stories. I currently have several feature screenplays completed and a number of other projects in development. I joined FilmPlatforms to connect with other writers, filmmakers, producers, and creatives, learn more about the industry, and hopefully build some genuine professional relationships along the way. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome to FilmPlatforms, Brandy! If you have several completed scripts, it might be worth choosing the one you feel is most market-ready and introducing it here with the logline, genre, approximate budget range, and what kind of partner you’re looking for.

From a producer’s perspective, it’s much easier to engage with a project when we can see not only the story, but also what the next step is. Is there one script you’re ready to start putting in front of producers now?
 
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy, a screenwriter based in the Seattle area. I write primarily horror, thriller, and dark reimaginings of classic stories. I currently have several feature screenplays completed and a number of other projects in development. I joined FilmPlatforms to connect with other writers, filmmakers, producers, and creatives, learn more about the industry, and hopefully build some genuine professional relationships along the way. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Horror seems to move in cycles zombies dominate for a while, then vampires, supernatural horror, or something completely different takes over.

As a writer, how much do you pay attention to those shifts? When developing a script, do you think it’s worth considering that by the time a film actually gets made, the trend that feels hot today may already have moved on?
 
Horror seems to move in cycles zombies dominate for a while, then vampires, supernatural horror, or something completely different takes over.

As a writer, how much do you pay attention to those shifts? When developing a script, do you think it’s worth considering that by the time a film actually gets made, the trend that feels hot today may already have moved on?
I’ve actually been working on my outbreak thriller, The Cruise, since 2023. What pulled me toward it was realizing I hadn’t really seen the zombie genre explored on a cruise ship in that way. The setting itself felt terrifying to me because you’re surrounded by water, trapped in a contained environment, and once things go wrong, there’s nowhere to simply run and feel safe.


I also wanted to approach the infected differently and create a mechanism behind them that felt distinct from the traditional virus or zombie origins we’ve seen before. So while I definitely pay attention to what’s happening in horror, I try to focus more on finding a fresh angle inside a familiar genre rather than chasing whatever happens to be trending at the moment.
 
THE CRUISE – Contained Outbreak Thriller | Feature Film


I’ve been developing THE CRUISE since 2023 after noticing an opportunity to bring the outbreak genre into a setting I hadn’t seen fully explored: a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean.


THE CRUISE follows newlyweds Aaron and Lori on their honeymoon when a mysterious outbreak begins spreading aboard their ship. With thousands of passengers surrounded by open water and nowhere to escape, survival becomes increasingly impossible. As the ship descends into chaos, a doctor races to understand what is causing the transformation and why Lori appears to be reacting differently from everyone else.


What interested me most was taking something familiar to horror audiences and changing both the environment and the mechanism behind the outbreak. Rather than relying on the traditional zombie origins we’ve seen before, THE CRUISE introduces a different cause and mythology behind the infected.


Genre: Horror / Thriller / Outbreak


Estimated Budget Range: $15–20 million


Although the story takes place aboard a large cruise ship, production would not require filming the entire feature on an operational vessel. Much of the ship’s interior could be created using controlled sets and repurposed locations, with limited ship photography and visual effects establishing the larger environment. This could preserve the scale and claustrophobia of the story while keeping production costs more manageable.


The screenplay is complete and ready to be shared. I’m currently looking to connect with producers or producing partners who work in commercial horror and thrillers, as well as management interested in a writer developing additional high-concept genre projects.
 

Attachments

  • EF031B96-CCE3-4B60-990A-2DD4D2B998E3.webp
    EF031B96-CCE3-4B60-990A-2DD4D2B998E3.webp
    272 KB · Views: 1
THE CRUISE – Contained Outbreak Thriller | Feature Film


I’ve been developing THE CRUISE since 2023 after noticing an opportunity to bring the outbreak genre into a setting I hadn’t seen fully explored: a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean.


THE CRUISE follows newlyweds Aaron and Lori on their honeymoon when a mysterious outbreak begins spreading aboard their ship. With thousands of passengers surrounded by open water and nowhere to escape, survival becomes increasingly impossible. As the ship descends into chaos, a doctor races to understand what is causing the transformation and why Lori appears to be reacting differently from everyone else.


What interested me most was taking something familiar to horror audiences and changing both the environment and the mechanism behind the outbreak. Rather than relying on the traditional zombie origins we’ve seen before, THE CRUISE introduces a different cause and mythology behind the infected.


Genre: Horror / Thriller / Outbreak


Estimated Budget Range: $15–20 million


Although the story takes place aboard a large cruise ship, production would not require filming the entire feature on an operational vessel. Much of the ship’s interior could be created using controlled sets and repurposed locations, with limited ship photography and visual effects establishing the larger environment. This could preserve the scale and claustrophobia of the story while keeping production costs more manageable.


The screenplay is complete and ready to be shared. I’m currently looking to connect with producers or producing partners who work in commercial horror and thrillers, as well as management interested in a writer developing additional high-concept genre projects.

The cruise ship setting is a strong hook. If I were pitching this, I’d bring Lori’s unusual reaction forward a little more that feels like the element that could really separate THE CRUISE from other outbreak stories.

Interestingly, there’s another project here on the forum whose creator is also looking at filming aboard a cruise ship. It might be worth connecting with each other. Even though the projects are completely different, you may be able to share some useful insights about the practical challenges of working with that kind of location.
 
Thank you, that’s really helpful feedback. Lori’s unusual reaction does become a major part of the story and ultimately ties into why the outbreak affects her differently, so I think you’re right that I should bring that element forward more in the pitch. I’d also be interested in connecting with the other filmmaker working with a cruise ship location. Even though the projects are different, it would be great to compare notes on the logistics and challenges of filming aboard one.
 
Back
Top