Looking For Collaboration The Cruise High Concept Outbreak Horror/Thriller Set at Sea

Washingtoninkgirl

New member
Early-Career Professional
Joined
Sep 23, 2026
Messages
16
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy Robertson, screenwriter of The Cruise, a contained outbreak horror/thriller set aboard a cruise ship. When a synthetic drug triggers a violent outbreak at sea, thousands of passengers are trapped with nowhere to escape. As the infection spreads through bites, blood, and saliva, a small group of survivors discovers the outbreak may be more than an accident, and one pregnant passenger could be the key to understanding why. I’d love to connect with producers and industry professionals interested in contained horror, outbreak thrillers, and high-concept genre projects.

the cruise movie poster.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy Robertson, screenwriter of The Cruise, a contained outbreak horror/thriller set aboard a cruise ship. When a synthetic drug triggers a violent outbreak at sea, thousands of passengers are trapped with nowhere to escape. As the infection spreads through bites, blood, and saliva, a small group of survivors discovers the outbreak may be more than an accident, and one pregnant passenger could be the key to understanding why. I’d love to connect with producers and industry professionals interested in contained horror, outbreak thrillers, and high-concept genre projects.

View attachment 275

Interesting concept, Brandy. A cruise ship is a strong contained setting for this kind of outbreak thriller, especially with the added question of whether the outbreak was deliberate.

How far along is THE CRUISE at this stage is the screenplay completed, and are you currently looking primarily for a producer, financing, or both?
 
THE CRUISE is a completed feature screenplay and is designed to work as a standalone film, while also having a larger story mapped out with the potential to expand into a four-film franchise. At this stage, I’m primarily looking to connect with a producer who sees the potential in the concept and can help move the project toward development and financing.
 
THE CRUISE is a completed feature screenplay and is designed to work as a standalone film, while also having a larger story mapped out with the potential to expand into a four-film franchise. At this stage, I’m primarily looking to connect with a producer who sees the potential in the concept and can help move the project toward development and financing.

That sounds like a solid stage to be approaching producers. Beyond the completed screenplay, have you already developed a pitch deck and an estimated budget range for THE CRUISE? And is there currently any talent or other industry attachment to the project?
 
Thank you for your interest in The Cruise. I do have a pitch deck prepared, including the project overview, estimated budget range, franchise direction, and target casting. Before I send over additional project materials, would you mind sharing a little more about your production background and the company you’re currently working with? I’d love to learn more about the types of projects you produce and what you’re currently looking for.


Thank you again for reaching out and for your interest in the project.


Best,
Brandy Robertson
 
One thought I had about THE CRUISE is whether the production costs could be significantly reduced by avoiding extensive filming on a real cruise ship.

Could much of the film be shot on controlled sets or in a studio, using green screen, virtual production and perhaps some AI-assisted VFX to create the larger ship and ocean environments?

Beyond reducing production and logistical costs, a lower and more controllable budget might also make the project easier to finance. Have you considered this approach, and do you think it could help attract the right producer or financing partner?
 
Thank you, Samantha. I have thought about ways to keep the production controlled without sacrificing the realism of the film. I’d prefer to rely heavily on practical sets and real locations for the interiors, with VFX used selectively for the larger ship and ocean environments. I think that would help keep the film visually authentic while still controlling production costs. Since so much of The Cruise takes place in cabins, corridors, medical areas and other contained spaces, I think there’s a real opportunity to make it feel much larger than the actual production footprint. I completely agree that finding that balance could also make the project more attractive to producers and financing partners.
 
Thank you, Samantha. I have thought about ways to keep the production controlled without sacrificing the realism of the film. I’d prefer to rely heavily on practical sets and real locations for the interiors, with VFX used selectively for the larger ship and ocean environments. I think that would help keep the film visually authentic while still controlling production costs. Since so much of The Cruise takes place in cabins, corridors, medical areas and other contained spaces, I think there’s a real opportunity to make it feel much larger than the actual production footprint. I completely agree that finding that balance could also make the project more attractive to producers and financing partners.

Brandy, one thing that might be worth considering at this stage is a short proof of concept.

Since you already know that much of the film can work in cabins, corridors and other controlled interiors, you probably wouldn’t need a ship or expensive VFX to make one. A strong 2–3 minute scene showing the atmosphere, tension and outbreak threat could give producers something they can actually see rather than just read about.

Do you have a scene in the screenplay that could work on its own like that?

And completely unrelated. I like the tattoos! :)
 
Thank you, Samantha. I really like that idea. There are a few scenes that could potentially work on their own, especially once the outbreak begins and the characters are trapped within the ship’s interior spaces. I’d want the proof of concept to show not only the outbreak and tension, but also the character side of the story, since that’s a big part of The Cruise for me. I’m going to look through the screenplay and see which scene could accomplish the most in two to three minutes. And thank you about the tattoos!
🙂
 
I went back through the screenplay after your suggestion, and I think I actually have a scene that could work really well for that. There’s an outbreak sequence inside the ship’s movie theater where an action movie is playing while a passenger begins to turn. The movie’s explosions and screams initially mask what’s happening in the audience, until the real violence becomes impossible to ignore. It builds from something very small into chaos, but it could all be shot in one controlled interior location. I hadn’t really thought about that scene as a standalone proof of concept until you mentioned it, but now I can really see it.
 
Thank you, Lucas. I really like that idea. There are a few scenes that could potentially work on their own, especially once the outbreak begins and the characters are trapped within the ship’s interior spaces. I’d want the proof of concept to show not only the outbreak and tension, but also the character side of the story, since that’s a big part of The Cruise for me. I’m going to look through the screenplay and see which scene could accomplish the most in two to three minutes. And thank you about the tattoos!
🙂
 
ytsewwetyyuhiojpo
Hi everyone! I’m Brandy Robertson, screenwriter of The Cruise, a contained outbreak horror/thriller set aboard a cruise ship. When a synthetic drug triggers a violent outbreak at sea, thousands of passengers are trapped with nowhere to escape. As the infection spreads through bites, blood, and saliva, a small group of survivors discovers the outbreak may be more than an accident, and one pregnant passenger could be the key to understanding why. I’d love to connect with producers and industry professionals interested in contained horror, outbreak thrillers, and high-concept genre projects.

the cruise movie poster.webp
Hi Brandy, great to connect! The Cruise sounds like a really compelling contained horror concept, especially the combination of the cruise-ship setting, outbreak premise, and mystery surrounding the pregnant passenger. I’d love to learn more about the project and connect to discuss it further. Wishing you all the best with the film!
 
ytsewwetyyuhiojpo

Hi Brandy, great to connect! The Cruise sounds like a really compelling contained horror concept, especially the combination of the cruise-ship setting, outbreak premise, and mystery surrounding the pregnant passenger. I’d love to learn more about the project and connect to discuss it further. Wishing you all the best with the film!
Thanks for connecting! I’d love to learn a little more about what you do in the industry and the kinds of projects you’re involved with. Are you primarily focused on producing, development, representation, or another area? I’m always interested in getting to know other people in the film community and learning more about what they’re working on.
 
Back
Top