Discussion Question Feedback What free filmmaking resource changed the way you learned?

ganzabliss27

Member
Early-Career Professional
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Messages
32
:oops: um
i'm curious what everyone's "go-to" free filmmaking resource is.

For me, StudioBinder has been a huge help because it explains not only how to do things, but why they're done that way.
Since I'm still early in my filmmaking journey, I've realized there are so many great free resources online if you know where to look.

If you could recommend one free website, YouTube channel, book, or course to a new filmmaker...

What would it be, and why?

I'm always looking to learn.
 
:oops: um
i'm curious what everyone's "go-to" free filmmaking resource is.

For me, StudioBinder has been a huge help because it explains not only how to do things, but why they're done that way.
Since I'm still early in my filmmaking journey, I've realized there are so many great free resources online if you know where to look.

If you could recommend one free website, YouTube channel, book, or course to a new filmmaker...

What would it be, and why?

I'm always looking to learn.

I agree with StudioBinder it's one of the best free resources I've come across because it explains not just how to do something, but why it's done that way.

Another free resource I'd recommend is Film Riot on YouTube. They've been creating practical filmmaking content for years, covering cinematography, lighting, editing, VFX, and low-budget production. I still find myself going back to some of their older videos because the fundamentals are just as relevant today.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's recommendations. There are so many great free resources out there, and I'm sure this thread will help a lot of new filmmakers discover them.
 
yes indeed, , i appreciate the recommendation i will try to cheack it out , thanks Norwest.
 
A lot of people will more than likely slander me for saying this but...

I find picking the brains of AI has helped.

As someone who had only ever wrote poetry, I began to look into a book. Once the book was done, I began to look into script writing. I had no clue about any of the processes.

I had AI talk me through each process from start to finish - the what, how and why.

I then began to ask as many questions as I could before I had a solid foundation to begin writing.

Since finding this platform I believed I would no longer need it. Boy was I wrong! The further I go, the MORE I tend to need it.

AI is a tool that has access (if given) to view websites. One thing I asked Claude to do? Read my works, look online for industry suggestions and to compile a list of potential improvements based on what it found. The result? About a 30 page document that I had to read and work down while amending my work.

People and sites are one thing but many people forget just how helpful AI can be.
 
Back
Top